In this article, we will be discussing a simple and effective method for cleaning car engines. Engine cleaning can be a daunting task for many. Still, with the right tools and techniques, it can be a profitable addition to your detailing services. We will follow the guidance of detailing expert Renny Doyle as he demonstrates the process using high-quality products from P&S.
Tools and Products Needed For Engine Cleaning
To clean the engine, you will need the following tools and products:
- Work Stuff brushes
- Soft flag tip brushes
- Pressure washer
- IK foamers (optional)
- P&S Brake Buster
- P&S Dynamic Dressing
Before we dive into the cleaning process, it’s important to note the dilution ratio. A full-strength dilution is recommended when using Brake Buster on heavily soiled engines like the one you see in the video. However, for cleaner surfaces, a 4:1 dilution ratio can be used. This allows for versatility in cleaning different parts of the vehicle without switching between multiple bottles with varying dilution ratios.
- Start by rinsing the engine bay with water. Or if the car is already cooled down, you can spray the Brake Buster on it to start. It is recommended to start from the bottom and work your way up to avoid dripping water on your head. This is especially important for larger trucks, where the hood may be over your head.
- Use a pressure washer to blast away dirt and grime. Be careful not to get too close to sensitive areas like the cowl to avoid causing damage. You can use a green tip (25-degree) or a white tip for a wider fan and gentler cleaning.
- Focus on tight areas and use a brush or a tip attachment to reach them. Be careful not to go too close to avoid damaging the plastic.
- Missed a spot? No problem, go back and hit it with a brush. It’s normal for some areas to not clean up perfectly, but a few touch-ups will do the trick.
- Rinse off any debris or dirt that may have splattered onto other parts of the vehicle, such as the windshield or the top of the car.
Applying Dynamic Dressing
- Dynamic Dressing by P&S is applied to protect and enhance the appearance of the engine plastics. Applying it while it is still wet is recommended to allow it to spread evenly and self-level.
- Start by lightly misting the Dynamic dressing onto the engine plastics. Avoid squirting it on heavily, as it is a waste of product and may not spread out as easily.
- Use a bottle sprayer for smaller areas, but for professional use, it is recommended to use a professional sprayer to avoid hand fatigue.
- Ensure that all areas, including the metals, are covered with the dressing. The dressing will not only protect the plastics but also brighten the metals.
- For areas that are harder to reach, such as the sidewalls, switch to a squirting motion to ensure deep penetration of the dressing.
- Allow the dressing to self-plate and level out on the engine plastics. There is minimal rubbing required.
- For a professional finish, use a blower to blow off the top surface of the engine before applying the dressing. This helps to evenly distribute the dressing and ensure a smooth and glossy appearance.
- After applying the dressing, let it dwell for a few minutes. You can use towels to even out any areas needing additional coverage.
- Once the engine is dry, you can turn it on to warm the plastics and melt the dressing into the surface. This will give the engine a brand-new look.
Benefits of Engine Cleaning
Cleaning the engine not only improves the appearance of the vehicle but also has several other benefits:
- Enhanced customer satisfaction: A clean engine is visually appealing and gives the impression of a well-maintained vehicle. Customers will appreciate the attention to detail and the overall cleanliness of their engine.
- Relationship building: Including engine cleaning as part of your detailing services can be a great way to build a relationship with your customers. It shows that you go above and beyond to provide a comprehensive service.
- Upselling opportunities: If you have the expertise and equipment to clean the engine in more detail, you can offer engine detailing as a separate service or as an add-on to your complete detail package. This allows you to charge more and increase your profitability.
- Marketing and promotion: Engine cleaning can be a great marketing tool. Take before and after photos to showcase the transformation and share them with your customers on social media. This will not only promote your business but also attract new customers.
Cleaning car engines and the bay doesn’t have to be a daunting task. With the right tools, products, and techniques, you can achieve excellent results and provide a valuable service to your customers. By following the steps outlined in this article, you can effectively clean and protect engine plastics, enhancing the vehicle’s overall appearance. Remember to use caution and common sense when working with engines, and always prioritize the safety of yourself and the vehicle.
Including engine cleaning in your detailing services can have numerous benefits, including increased customer satisfaction, relationship building, upselling opportunities, and effective marketing and promotion. Feel free to charge more for engine cleaning, as it requires additional time and expertise.
Car Supplies Warehouse offers high-quality products like the P&S Brake Buster and Dynamic Dressing. You can also use code Miranda10 to get a 10% discount on your purchases.
So, don’t let engine cleaning intimidate you. Embrace it as an opportunity to provide exceptional service and stand out. Your customers will appreciate the attention to detail and the pristine appearance of their engines. Happy detailing!
Car Supplies Warehouse https://bit.ly/34kcPNC
Use Code Miranda10 for 10% OFF
Brake Buster. https://bit.ly/3p370RN
Dynamic Dressing. https://bit.ly/3LK5LQn